Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The other road

Sometimes in life you don't get to choose your path. Sometimes your path is chosen for you. You don't always want to go that way but sometimes you're forced to take the other road. The way you choose to walk along that road is up to you. THAT is your choice.

I have cancer. I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. It has been exactly 8 days since my biopsy and 7 days since I was told the cold hard facts. Only one week. Amazing how much life can change in a week.

I am not cancer. I just have cancer. It does not define me. It will never define me. It will not beat me, at least not without a good fight. I feel strong, stronger than I've felt before. I am eating healthy, exercising and keeping a positive mind. I am surrounded by amazing friends and family who exude so much positivity. I know ultimately the end result isn't up to me, but I'm gearing up for the fight. I'm ready for the battle. Ready for the next chapter in my book, the other road.

My beautiful friend Delmy, CEO and editor of DGaray Magazine flew from Denver to San Diego to be with me during this initial phase. Delmy and I met in 2009 at a photo shootout in San Diego. We had so much in common and connected instantly. Delmy has always been an inspiration for me, especially as I embarked on my photography endeavor. 

Over the past few months I have been playing around with a photoshoot idea. Together Delmy and I coordinated the Bohemian inspired photoshoot I had been envisioning. I know I will endure many physical and emotional challenges and changes during my battle with cancer. Our main inspiration and motivation for this shoot was to capture and preserve pieces of who I am today through Delmy's photography. There is no one who can capture my true spirit the way this girl can. I am forever grateful. Not only did she capture my spirit with her photos, but during this very stressful time she distracted me. She made me smile and she continually made me laugh until my stomach hurt.

Delmy was kind enough to edit and share a few photos with me while she was still in San Diego. She says I have to wait for the rest!! Here is a litte sneak peek from our shoot. 
"When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or you can let it strengthen you." -unknown
Delmy calls this my "F*ck Cancer" picture

DGaray Magazine is set to launch this August. DGaray Magazine was founded on April 28th, 2015 by creative photographer Delmy Gooch. Born in El Salvador and raised in Wisconsin, her life has been far from ordinary. The inspiration for the magazine: All experiences, challenges, defeats and triumphs have served as a stepping stone to fulfill goals and find a greater purpose in life. 

"Change the world. Change your life. Your life is a reflection of your heart and craft. Let your life story be the legacy that changes and beautifies the world even after you seize to exist."

Location: Mission Trails
Photographer: Delmy Gooch/DGaray Magazine
MUA: Lisa Lykissas
Hair: Rebekah Sylvester







2 comments:

  1. Love these photos of you Angela, you are a beautiful woman and you have very talented friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and love this!!! So proud of you and all of your accomplishments in life. And I know there are many more to come for you!!

    ReplyDelete